smb server access via ip address?

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Tue Jun 22 19:41:08 UTC 2004

On 06/22/2004 10:40 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:

>   I have some machine located behind a firewall that
>have to access Windows file servers via the tcp/ip address
>protocol. On MacOS X, I am able to easily do this with
>a smb url of the form...
>
>smb://username@serverdomainname/path/to/serverdirectory
>
>however I can't seem to get this to work under Nautilus
>in either FC2 or RH Enterprise 3. Does either support
>accessing smb file shares through a tcp/ip protocol and
>if so what is the correct form of the url to use in
>Nautilus?
>                            Jack

It should work if you've got DNS set up right, or at least a hosts file
entry pointing to the server.

Try it with the IP address. If that works, but the domain name still
doesn't work, then you have a DNS problem. If it doesn't work with the
IP address then ping it. If you can ping it, something's wrong with
smbclient.