System with two operating systems in two disks

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Tue Jun 22 20:55:14 UTC 2004

On 06/22/2004 03:49 AM, Javier Perez wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am running Fedora in one computer and now I want to make some
>tests. I have an 80G HD that I can add as a slave to the system.
>
>I want to install the second HD with its own OS that I can play with
>in such a way that my original OS is not disturbed.
>
>I know maybe this is a question for a GRUB List but I wonder if
>somebody else have done this and if there is a good how-to that could
>guide me in this.
>
>Thanks!

What OS will you install on the second disk? Most linuxes that I know of
will be happy to do it for you automatically. Windows may break
everything, on the other hand. You can probably search for and find a
lot of help online about this--try including the term "chainloader" in
your search.

I run basically the same setup at home, Mandrake 10 on the first disk,
Win XP on the second disk. But having Windows installed first was the
key; Mandrake found it and set up grub for me. I have a feeling if
Mandrake were there first, the Windows install would wreck the MBR.