setting up a web server in a low security env

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Tue Jun 22 22:58:08 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Are you using FC1 or FC2? I believe that FC1 uses samba and FC2 uses
> cifs. Anyway, I usually revert to using ftp for transferring files from
> a windows machine.

No, 2.4 kernel based systems (fc1) can use smbfs and smbclient (cli
only), and 2.6 kernel based systems can use any of smbfs, cifs, or
smbclient.

smbfs and cifs allow you to use a windows share as part of your
filesystem tree.  smbclient allows you to access a windows share much
like a text based ftp cleint.  Also cifs is set to replace smbfs in the
next generation of Linux kernel releases -- the 2.8 or 3.0 (it hasn't
been numbered yet) Linux Kernel.

> Good luck with your job and you might want to start out using FC1 or an
> earlier RHL version. (7.3, 8.0 or 9)

All of those versions have gone to community based support from fedora
legacy.  Unless you're willing to pay money you should get used to the
community way of things.  That means, learning how things work, and
helping to find and fix problems to the extent that your skills will allow.

> There might be a problem with the machine running linux having a netbios
> cached somewhere. I had this problem with one of my computer. At the
> time, I dual booted and just changed it in winME. Of course winME is no
> longer on the machine.

That doesn't make sense.  netbios is the way that windows machines
identify each other on the network.  You can't change it to winme, as
that's not even communicated by the netbios protocol.

Did you start a thread on the list about this?  If not, then please do,
you'll probably learn a bit about what netbios is (I encourage you to
look it up on google), and possibly get your problem fixed.

Mike