FC2 doubtful quality?

Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au
Wed Jun 23 00:48:36 UTC 2004

I just tried whitebox linux. Seems like a logical (small) step forward
from red hat 9. I haven't looked at Enterprise 3 yet but whitebox is
supposed to be EN 3 with yum instead of RHN. I basically took my RH9
kickstart config and pointed it a whitebox and up it all came. A few
packages have been dropped compared to RH9, but apart from that it all
worked fine.

Of course if you want to go to a 2.6 kernel then try suse or debian
(testing/unstable.) I think suse is more like how redhat 9 used to be: A
bit better tested than fedora and a little less bleeding edge. I know
part of my success with suse (where FC2 has failed me) is due to the
older 2.6.4 kernel. Some bugs were introduced in 2.6.5 or 2.6.6
(according to something I read in this list) that broke things for my
hardware. I have tried FC2 on maybe 8 different sets of hardware and had
problems on 3 out the 8 systems, that were bad enough and still haven't
been fixed to force me to try suse and whitebox.