Error on first boot

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Jun 23 05:01:14 UTC 2004

On 22:23 21 Jun 2004, radioact1ve <radioact1ve at gmail.com> wrote:
| I have just finished installing a brand new fresh copy of Fedora Core
| 2. Very nice and simple. But now once everything is done a Fedora
| boots up for the first time I get the following error:
| ____________________
|
| checking root partition:
| fsck.ext3: unable to resolve 'LABEL=/'

I would take this to mean that fsck can't find a partition whose label is "/".
If your /boot/grub/grub.conf is using "root=LABEL=/" then I'm surprised
you got to boot linux at all, yet you have.

| Then after that I get the command line for some maintenance which I
| don't really know how to use or what to do.

The fsck will have failed because it can't find what it's supposed to
fsck. Normally fsck failure is because there's damage that its default
automatic mode ("preen" mode) isn't prepared to try to fix without human
intervention for fear of losing data. So it drops you to a shell to fix
things up.

| I was also talking on #fedora and I was told to check everything with
| fdisk and to see if it matched fstab. I did and everything looked OK
| to me. What I did see was at the very top, the first two lines:
| _______
| LABEL=/
| LABEL=/boot
| __________
| LABEL was set to both root and my boot partition. Don't know if thats
| normal.

Thank's normal. Each line is self contained, so you're seeing a line
saying your root (/) partition can be identified by its label being "/"
and your /boot partition being identified by its label being "/boot". So
that's ok.

I'd suggest replacing the "LABEL=" stuff in the fstab with device names,
which you can get from the "mount" command. For example, this machine here has:

	$ mount
	/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
	none on /proc type proc (rw)
	none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
	none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
	usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
	/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,noatime)
	none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
	sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
	nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

So on this machine I'd replace "LABEL=/" with "/dev/hda2" and "LABEL=/boot"
with "/dev/hda1". Do that (adjusting to match your device names)
and then, BEFORE REBOOTING, check by going:

	# fsck -n /

to get fsck to look at / (but do nothing!) If that's ok, you should be ok to
try a reboot to check things out more thoroughly.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I was just picked as VKotL for my vote-getting good looks. Yet another thing
that Dan Quayle and I have in common besides having seen Marilyn Quayle naked.
        - R. Curtis Jackson in a surprisingly lucid moment.