FC2 doubtful quality?

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Wed Jun 23 06:13:38 UTC 2004

Andy Green wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2004 09:51, Dexter Ang wrote:
>>>Realibility will depend on the number of people testing "test" releases.
>>>If you want a quality release, you should help out by testing and
>>>reporting bugs. If you can't afford to use your machine for testing,
>>>your best hope is to report bugs and wait for fixes. There really is so
>>>many hardware to test on, that the chances of certain configurations not
>>>working is very high.
>

> To be fair  this is not the only factor: witholding the release until the
> nastiest known bugs are squished is as critical.  This is a pure RH decision.
>
> I thought you made a good answer Dexter, but I have seen a lot of posts lately
> blowing off all criticism of FC2, when there clearly have been serious
> troubles.  Acknowledging the problems and going on in a way to avoid them
> next time would be the right solution.

I see your point. Unfortunately, as far as I understand, Fedora Core is
to be released on a schedule basis (dated deadlines) as opposed to
"squish all bugs" schedule. As stated on the main fedora.redhat.com page:

"The project will produce time-based releases of Fedora Core about 2-3
times a year with a public release schedule."

So I guess developers were "pressured" to release on a deadline, hoping
to fix most bugs through updates. As much as I'd personally love to help
test and test until all bugs are stamped out, you can't avoid the fact
that a lot of other people simply won't test until a "final" release is out.

I think everyone acknowledges that there are major problems. But it
seems the only way to avoid them is to have more testers, have more
bugzilla reports logged in, and have fun along the way.

dex