Palm Zire 72 and FC2 USB connection [FIGURED-OUT]

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Wed Jun 23 08:24:14 UTC 2004

Dexter Ang wrote:
> [snip]
> Whoops. I just noticed that I missed out on a huge bit of my log on the
> "switching" of USB ports. Here's the log:
> using address 21
> Jun 21 03:48:14 portablepoch kernel: usbserial 2-2:1.0: Handspring Visor
> / Palm OS converter detected
> Jun 21 03:48:14 portablepoch kernel: usb 2-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
> Jun 21 03:48:14 portablepoch kernel: usb 2-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
> Jun 21 03:48:19 portablepoch kernel: usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 21
> Jun 21 03:48:19 portablepoch kernel: usbserial 2-2:1.0: device disconnected
> Jun 21 03:48:20 portablepoch kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device
> using address 22
> Jun 21 03:48:20 portablepoch kernel: usbserial 2-2:1.0: Handspring Visor
> / Palm OS converter detected
> Jun 21 03:48:20 portablepoch kernel: usb 2-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter now attached to ttyUSB2 (or usb/tts/2 for devfs)
> Jun 21 03:48:20 portablepoch kernel: usb 2-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter now attached to ttyUSB3 (or usb/tts/3 for devfs)
>
> It kept on switching from ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 to ttyUSB2 and ttyUSB3
> (notice the last few addresses 21 and 22). Strange though, as I just
> tried it again, and it consistently connected at ttyUSB1. Will have to
> monitor this further, but for now it works!
>
> Maybe I just needed sleep at 3:48am...
>
> dex

Would just like to note that I've sorta figured out why my Zire 72 keeps
switching /dev/ttyUSB#. Well, not exactly "why" but "when". When I first
connect my Zire 72, it turns on, gets detected and connects as
/dev/ttyUSB1. The problem is when it automatically shuts off. At the
time the Zire72 shuts off, /var/log/messages doesn't show it
disconnecting. The only time it disconnects is when I try to HotSync, in
which case, it now connects to /dev/ttyUSB3 and disconnects /dev/ttyUSB1.

So my only solution is to keep my Palm on so that it "keeps" it's
/dev/ttyUSB1 connection. Or turn on and off the Palm to try and get it
at /dev/ttyUSB1 connection.

Strange really. My only thought is, is this a weirdness of my Palm or
with the kernel and USB devices that shutoff (sorta like pulling a usb
key without unmounting?).

dex