nfs mounts fail at boot time

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Jun 23 15:34:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:46:51AM -0700, Georgoulias Tom-rn0621 wrote:
> Matt Wette wrote:
> > I have NFS mounts (e.g., for /home/maint)
> > listed in my /etc/fstab file.  At boot time, the NFS mounts always
> > fail.
>
> Show us what your /etc/fstab file looks like, or at least the entries
> for the NFS mounts in /etc/fstab.
>
> Are you using bg as one of your mount options?

It might also be useful to have the hostname and IP of the nfs server
listed in /etc/hosts because the netfs service gets executed before a
lot of other services, like ypbind (NIS). Host names from DNS will be
available after the network starts, but hostnames from NIS will not
(can't check how it works with LDAP from here, that might work ok).
I seem to remember a similar problem when the client gets its address
from DHCP, but I don't have any nfs clients with dynamic addresses right
now, so I cannot check this.

As an alternative, you might use the IP number of the server in /etc/fstab
to avoid problems with host name lookups.

David Jansen