Installation of RPM's beyond standard Fedora Core 2

Peter Silcock smallcreep at quista.net
Wed Jun 23 16:41:52 UTC 2004

Fons van der Beek wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was googling my way in finding an howto "howto install mysql 4.0 on fedora
>core 2", I just found an Italian
>website describing this installation, unfortunalty my Italian is not that
>good. I followed this mailinglist and I can
>totaly imagine why redhat bundles with 3.58, no problem....
>
>But I guess I'am not the onlye one who wants a clean valid installation of
>Mysql 4 by rebuilding the source rpm's and a valid integration into Fedora,
>with valid dependencies.
>Or is this not possible and should I install the software from source (just
>as php, apache and so on?)
>
>Thanks in advance..
>Fons van der Beek

Here's someone who had no problems with the RPMs from mysql.com:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-February/msg01237.html

...  Haven't tried this myself since I found install from source easier
when it came to installing with just the options I wanted.  You might
want to look at "Installing Apache, MySQL, and PHP on Linux" at
http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=751.

Peter