User names in FC2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jun 23 17:47:58 UTC 2004

Jose Gonzalez wrote:
> I need to add user names with the general form [FirstName].[LastName]
> (Example: david.morgan), but I receive an error like 'Invalid
> username....'. Is possible to use the point '.' in the user name..?  In
> previous versions (Redhat 7.x) there is no problem.

You are not allowed to have embedded spaces in usernames.  The standard
practice is to use a "." to separate the two names:

	john.smith

Yes, it works in FC1 and FC2.  Be forewarned: using capitalization is
also dangerous.  "John.Smith" is NOT the same user as "john.smith" and
can wreak havoc with email.  I recommend only using lower-case letters
in user names.  RFC822 states that domain names are case-insensitive,
but the "local part" of an email address (the username) is NOT case-
insensitive.  As a result, standard practice is to make the usernames
lower case.
-         "If you can't fix it...duct tape it!"  - Tim Allen         -