FC2 doubtful quality?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 23 19:32:38 UTC 2004

Dexter Ang wrote:

> Andy Green wrote:

>> To be fair  this is not the only factor: witholding the release until
>> the nastiest known bugs are squished is as critical.  This is a pure
>> RH decision.
>>
>> I thought you made a good answer Dexter, but I have seen a lot of
>> posts lately blowing off all criticism of FC2, when there clearly
>> have been serious troubles.  Acknowledging the problems and going on
>> in a way to avoid them next time would be the right solution.
>>

> I see your point. Unfortunately, as far as I understand, Fedora Core
> is to be released on a schedule basis (dated deadlines) as opposed to
> "squish all bugs" schedule. As stated on the main fedora.redhat.com page:
>
> "The project will produce time-based releases of Fedora Core about 2-3
> times a year with a public release schedule."
>
> So I guess developers were "pressured" to release on a deadline,
> hoping to fix most bugs through updates. As much as I'd personally
> love to help test and test until all bugs are stamped out, you can't
> avoid the fact that a lot of other people simply won't test until a
> "final" release is out.
>
> I think everyone acknowledges that there are major problems. But it
> seems the only way to avoid them is to have more testers, have more
> bugzilla reports logged in, and have fun along the way.
>
> dex

I have noticed a lot fewer problems with the RHL to FCL change. The
major improvements seem to be from either picking up information from
"distress calls" from changes to certain software that went rabid
because of a seemingly mild change to one program. Also, if a problem
with a program or hardware interface were broken, things were corrected
when knowledge and resources were adequate to snuff the bug, either
through regression or advancment to the other inflicted programs or
hardware.

Since RHL moved away from supporting chancy things like mp3, ntfs or
other programs with restrictive or "McDonalds hot coffee" attributes. I
think that the move to release RHL into Fedora Core was a worthwhile move.

Except for the cow on the trampoline not working on FC2 with an S3 based
video chip, I see way more advancements to FC2 compared to earlier RHL
or other Linux distros that I've tried out.

The point, if any, RHL was in a too restrictive environment. FC is in a
seemingly more progressive state and is softly linked to repositories
that can provide more to what was restricted by copyright/patent related
issues.

Thanks for help from both the community and to those of the community
that develop the software that go into the core distribution.

Good points Dexter,

Jim

--
Be security conscious -- National defense is at stake.