up2date and yum not working?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 24 01:43:33 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 June 2004 19:09, fred vachon wrote:
>
>>You might try using one of the mirrors in yum.conf rather than the
>>main Fedora download server.  It might be having some problems.  I
>>had similiar problem today trying to use yum which had been fine in
>>the past.  I switched to one of the mirrors and was fine.  You can
>>find the mirrors at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
>

> I commented the fedora.redhat.com url line out, then reconstructed it
> with about 4 of the other east coast addresses but wasn't able to
> make yum talk to any of them.  I finally grabbed the updates with
> konqi and installed them with rpm.
>
> Can someone post the full line that would be added to make it work
> with the duke (or ibiblio) http server?  Maybe I fubared it somehow.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/

As an example. What you are looking for is a directory which contains a
header directory that is wothin your archetecture.

Browse with your favorite browser. Then copy the link for chosen mirror
and directory which contains the header.

As root, open up your /etc/yum.conf file with your chosen editor. Paste
the link into the file and edit to be in line with the examples within
the yum.conf file.

For updates, you might use this link for a reference.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/2/i386/

I use up2date with yum repos. The settings are pretty similar and each
file contains examples for repos.

I hope this helps,

Jim

--
You are confused; but this is your normal state.