Installation of RPM's beyond standard Fedora Core 2

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Jun 24 03:02:27 UTC 2004

--On Wednesday, June 23, 2004 9:47 AM -0400 "Scot L. Harris"
<webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I figure over
> the next year or two when new versions of these packages come out I will
> be able to adopt them more quickly and easier than if I had to wait on
> an RPM.  And in the case of systems that are getting old the rpms may
> never arrive.

On the contrary, many upstream developers are adding spec files to their
tarballs so you can build from source and have an RPM at the end to
install. Unless I know the repository well, I tend to grab 3rd party stuff
either as a tarball with specfile or a source RPM and rebuild it.