All filesystems change to read-only after a while with kernel 2.6.6-1.435

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 14:33:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 06:43, Pete Pokrandt wrote:

> Unfortunately, since all the filesystems are read-only, I have
> no debug info or any idea what exactly is happening, because
> the system logger can't write to the system logs once the root fs
> becomes read-only.

I have serial console set up on most of my boxes to deal with this.
It's invaluable, although it does require another box to capture the
data.  Google for "ttywatch" for an excellent way of capturing the logs.

> Upon reboot, the fsck of the / filesystem always fails with messages
> about inodes being members of orphan nodes.

Orphan warnings are quite normal on reboot, and do not indicate errors.
They merely indicate that files had been unlinked while still open on
the previous boot, so they need to be deleted manually on the subsequent
fsck.

It's not possible to tell if there were real fsck errors found from the
brief summary here.

Cheers,
 Stephen