FC2 to RH9

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 24 15:19:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Ted Gervais wrote:

> Satish  -  thanks for your comments.  Maybe there is hope here afterall.
> I believe I have ALSA working.  I believe that is what got my sound
> working.  But not all of it.  What is the test to show that ALSA is
> working?  Does it have a config file?  Is there a command line I can run
> to check to see that it is turned on, or at least installed??
>
> Sorry for the questions, but you have me a sudden 'ray' of hope..

Well I just play some mp3/rm (with mplayer/realplayer) and see if it
works. However - before that I make sure:

- unmute volume from alsamixer
- crank up various things in gnome-volume-control
(volume,pcm,out-gain ...)

There might be issues regarding multiple applicatons accessing the
same sound device. I primarily use fluxbox - so there is no kde that
also tries to use the sound device.

I don't know enough about these issues or how to fix them.

Satish