nfs mounts fail at boot time

Bob Marcan bob at interstudio.homeunix.net
Thu Jun 24 17:59:01 UTC 2004

David Jansen wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:02:24AM -0700, Matt Wette wrote:
>

>>Here is the relevant chunk of my fstab
>>file.
>>  wettefamily:/home/family /home/family  nfs   defaults     2 1
>>
>>I do not use "bg", I will try that.  Thanks.
>>Also, automounter is not a bad idea, I may use that.
>>

>Another thing to try: add the hostname wettefamily and its ip number in
>/etc/hosts, just to make sure that your system can find the nfs server
>even if DNS is not yet fully active during that phase of the boot.
>DNS should be working, but especially when using a dynamic ip address
>there may be some delay (client requests and gets ip address, server
>updates dynamic dns if that is enabled, and nfs server has to verify
>that address, but may get an older cached version of the dns info).
>
>David Jansen

We have the same problem with RH9 on the Compaq Proliant DL(something)
at the
one of the customers. It has the network card, don't know the name, tg3
driver.
It has problem with the negotiation with the switch and network is not
ready yet,
when netfs service starts. Trying to setup card with ethtool, ethtool dumps.
mii-tool can only setup up to 100Mb and didn't help.
Maybe you experience something similar.

Regards, Bob

 Bob Marcan, Consultant                mailto:bob.marcan at hermes-plus.si
 S&T Hermes Plus d.d.                  tel:           +386 (1) 5895-300
 Slandrova ul. 2                       fax:           +386 (1) 5895-202
 1231 Ljubljana - Crnuce, Slovenia     url:   http://www.hermes-plus.si