kernel 2.4.22-1.2194 burned my monitor

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jun 24 19:09:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 14:52, Hongwei Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a fc1 linux with kernel 2.4.22-1.2188 and 2.4.22-1.2194 installed.
> The X-window was working well with kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.  This morning, I
> ran up2date to get kernel 2.4.22-1.2194, installation went through without
> error.  However, after reboot, the X-window cannot start.  The monitor
> shows the text-mode login screen, then a sound of clicking, then black,
> then the text-mode login screen, then a sound of clicking, ... endless.  I
> restart the system and select kernel 2.4.22-1.2188, X-window cannot start
> either now, the same as above.
>
> It seems that the monitor has been damaged by kernel 2.4.22-1.2194. I
> could test another monitor on it, but before doing that, I want to know
> how to set the system starting with a pure text mode, then I can probe a
> new monitor to prevent it from burned.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Hongwei Li

Let me guess, you have a nvidia graphics card in the system and you were
using the nvidia supplied drivers?

If that is the case then you will need to reinstall the nvidia drivers
for the new kernel version.  Based on the last time I had to do this
they had a fairly easy install script that pulled the correct drivers
and rebuilt them for your particular kernel.

The monitor it self is probably not damaged.  It is just cycling through
the different monitor resolutions in your XF86config file trying to find
one that works.  When it does not work it dumps back to the text
screen.  I seem to remember this stopping after it exhausted all the
resolution options in your config file.

So now you will need to startup in run level 3 this will get you to a
text prompt so you can login and work on the system.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You will be misunderstood by everyone.