Help with RPM and MySQL

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Jun 25 07:04:40 UTC 2004

--On Thursday, June 24, 2004 9:24 PM -0700 Erik Espinoza
<erik.espinoza at gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesnt work so well. The MySQL 4 libs are different than MySQL 3.x
> that ships with Fedora. In order to get it to work, you'll have to
> rebuild everything linked against mysql libs, such as php or perl dbi.

I just got it going, and you don't need to rebuild clients. (At least, so
far I haven't needed to.) There's a MySQL-shared-compat RPM on the MySQL
site that you're supposed to use to supply the missing library, but that
didn't work for me. Instead, I knocked together a quick RPM that just
repackages the files in /usr/lib/mysql from FC2's mysql-3.23.58-9, and
installed that along with the MySQL-4.1.2 RPM's I built from their source
RPM. After doing the update, I found that I'd lost the mysql user to run
the server binary, so I had to recreate him using the command from the spec
file:

useradd -M -r -d /var/lib/mysql -s /bin/bash -c "MySQL server" -u 27 mysql

(I haven't tracked that down but I'm guessing it's a bug in the %post in
the spec file that doesn't handle updates cleanly.)

I had to comment out the basedir directive in /etc/my.cnf as it was no
longer appropriate for this installation.

The mysql initscript starts and stops silently, instead of saying OK and
FAILED, so I put a "set -x" at the top until I got it working to see which
parts were working or failing. Whoever officially brings this into Fedora
will need to integrate the RH initscript macros.

PHP must be happy with the old library as I can browse the old DB's with
phpMyAdmin.