Strange characters when displaying manpages

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 12:30:45 UTC 2004

Edwin Dicker wrote:
> I have some strange characters in my manpages.
> with FC1 I had to edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n and remove .UTF-8 from the
> LANG variable.
> I learned that this doesnt work anymore within FC2
> what do I need to edit to get my manpages display fine again ?
>
> example :
>
> HOSTNAME(1)                Linux Programmerâs Manual               HOSTNAME(1)

It looks like you're using a Microsoft mail client. How did you copy
and paste that manpage? Are you using a Windows telnet or ssh client?

If not, which terminal *are* you using? Does this persist between
gonme-terminal, xterm, and the Linux console (press CTRL-Alt-F1 to
log in).

Can you post the output of echo $LANG and echo $TERM, letting us know
which terminal you are using?

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "Right lads, we've got 45 minutes to score 37 goals.
westexe.demon.co.uk    | No problem with that -- the other team just did."