X lock / crash + slowdowns - fc2

geneSmith gene.smith at sea.siemens.com
Fri Jun 25 15:16:25 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote, On 6/25/2004 8:17 AM:

> Gene Smith wrote:
>
>>Graphic card: GeForce3 Ti 200
>>No proprietary stuff.
>>
>>Here again is how the "slowdown" works. While typing this I
>>highlighted/selected "No proprietary stuff" above with mouse. I then
>>clicked somewhere on this page which removed the selection. I tried to
>>type something. What I typed did not appear until about 10-15 seconds.
>>After that response was normal.
>

> Is that reproducable? What mail client are you using?

Mozilla Mail

> Could you try doing the same thing while you have vmstat 2 running (as
> root) in another terminal? Does the vmstat output pause? When the pause
> finishes, do you get seven or more lines being printed, or just one?
>
> Can you post the output?

I will try this when I get home with and w/o ipv6 let you know what I see.

> Thanks,
>
> James.

Inhibiting the loading of the ipv6 kernel module seems to have
significantly helped the slowdown in moz mail. Also, it seems to have
fixed another somewhat annoying pause: After shutting down all apps in
kde and going to the panel (which I keep hidden) to access the logout
icon, the panel would refuse to "pop-up" for several seconds with the
mouse over it. Without the ipv6 module, it seems to pop-up immediately
after shutting down all apps. (Never saw pop-up delay with apps just
running.)

-gene

--
Lit up like Levy's