X freeze with kernels 2.6.6-X

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Fri Jun 25 18:26:27 UTC 2004

Marco Coli escribió:
> I have a big problem.
>
> All was OK with previous releases (RH, FC1), and also witj FC2 with
> kernels 2.6.5-X.
>
> The problems started with the first 2.6.6 upgrade. At the beginning, I
> supposed it was a bug of the first 2.6.6, but after there came upgrades
> to the kernel and the problems continued.
>
> If I start at level 5 (X) or at level 3 and then start X manually, the
> system freezes after a while. Only phisical reset is possible. There is
> a problem also with audio, infact befor freezing, every gnome audio
> event plays 3/4 times instead than once (!)
>
> My graphic card is an ATI 9600 (i tried also the simple "vesa" driver in
> x config, but things didn't change), audio in integrated VIA
> Technologies|VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller, with driver
> snd-via82xx.
>
> No particular custom configuration, all fedora drivers, fresh install
> (not upgrade) from FC1.
>
> If i boot back with kernel-2.6.5, all works well.
>
> Should I file a bug? Anyone in a situation like this?

Same here, Marco. There's been some posts regarding this last week, but
up to now, we're lost. It seems that the problem is somehow kernel
related, but it has to do also with some particular hardware combination
(only a few of us are experimenting this).
In my case, though, I don't need a hard reset. If I wait _several_
minutes, the sistem wakes-up again. But only for a few seconds / minutes
(then it freezes again).
I also can go to a text console and work normally from there during the
freezing. There's no suspicious process eating resources (at least top
tells me so...).
Sometimes, killing the X-Server solves the problem for several minutes.
The freezing seems to be very random; some times it lasts more,
sometimes less. From a cool boot, it seems to take longer until the
problem appears for the first time, and once it appears, it seems to
happen randomly, but more and more frequently (I couldn't test this
much, because eventually I have to shutdown and restart with the old
kernel if I want to do something useful with the machine... ;)

Mi configuration:
- AMD Athlon XP 1700+
- Mobo ASUS a7n8x deluxe (nVidia nForce2)
- 512 MB RAM
- HD IDE ATA/133
- Integrated sound w/ i8x0_audio
- Video: ABIT Siluro Geforce4 MX, *using the "nv" standard driver*
- FC2, fresh install, with all the updates as of the 18th.

If I boot with the original 2.6.5 FC2 kernel, everything's ok.

Could anybody tell us how to debug this in more detail? I'm willing to
provide more detail, but I don't know how.

Regards,

--
Mariano