Sound Conflict, Fedora Core 2, Logitech Webcam

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Fri Jun 25 20:14:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 17:52, Hugh Caley wrote:
> I have a PC running Fedora Core 2, Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 04), and a
> Logitech Zoom webcam.  I've already configured the Ensoniq, and it works
> fine.  If I then plug in the webcam, that also works fine (using
> Gnomemeeting).
>
> However, if I reboot the machine with the webcam attached I lose the
> Ensoniq; I get an error that the pcm dev cannot be found.
>
> Also, for some reason Kudzu configures 5 "unknown" usb sound devices
> when the webcam is attached at boot.  And the Ensoniq also disappears
> even if I skip configuring the new sound devices.
>
> Hugh
>
> --
> Hugh Caley | Unix Systems Administrator | CIS
> AFFYMETRIX, INC. | 6550 Vallejo St. Ste 100 | Emeryville, CA 94608
> Tel: 510-428-8537 | Hugh_Caley at affymetrix.com

I'm not sure which kernel you're using, but the stock kernel for FC2
does not have USB_PWC enabled. Which among other things has support for
the Logitech Zoom. If you're running an older kernel, it may be loading
a different module. I'm not sure when the kernel folks at Redhat enabled
it in the config, but it's enabled as a module for 2.6.6-1.435. If you
roll your own kernels the module is under USB support -> USB Phillips
Cameras.  Hope this helps.

Wayne Steenburg