[OT] Reverse DNS

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 26 00:14:52 UTC 2004

From: "Mark Haney" <mark.haney at doctordirectory.com>

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:26:35 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
> <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
>

> > Without knowing your specific situation we can't decide. The general
> > answer must be: the DNS who is authoritative for the IP. Who is
> > responsible / autoritative is stored at the RIPE. And as Luciano posted,
> > the responsibility can be delegated.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you run a DNS in your LAN with your own private
> > domain, then of course your DNS reverse resolve the IPs, as long as you
> > configured not only a forward zone but a corresponding reverse zone too.
> >
> > Alexander
> >

> What it boils down to is this, we have Network Solutions as our primary
> DNS servers so we don't use our ISPs for handling our DNS records. I want
> to bring our primary in house but my boss is terrified that if out T1 goes
> down we are screwed.  Well, yeah if it goes down our site's not up so why
> would our DNS be so important.  We need to be able to reverse DNS for the
> email we send to be sent properly.

The usual practice I am familiar with is to have at least two name servers
with (at least) one of them off campus.

I understand there may be obscure hijacking problems if your DNS goes down
entirely. (My understanding could be defective here. I'm known to be a
little paranoid. {^_-})

Regardless of that if you have a large enough IP range to draw the master
name server in house this is a major convenience. Do maintain a secondary
server that is off campus. Connectivity disappearing is not as un-
professional looking as having your name vanish from the net entirely
during a long outage.

It is a major convenience to be able to rename or add machines to your
subnet with only a few quick entries in your master DNS server and have
done with it, as long as the secondary picks up the update in a more or
less timely fashion.

{^_^}    Joanne