Sendmail queuing first mails

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jun 27 15:10:26 UTC 2004

Am So, den 27.06.2004 schrieb Philippe um 16:28:

> I am using a fresh new FC2 install, and did not try to change anything
> to the sendmail configuration. Exactly same I did in RH9.
> After the first boot, sendmail is always queing my mail. I am using
> evolution getting mail from classic pop3 server, and sending mail using
> smtp on my machine. I did not try to change the basic configuration.
>
> After restarting sendmail services, via the menu or using webmin,
> sendmail is flushing the queue and will flush immediatly after every new
> mail. But this not happens like this after the first boot.
>
> Looking the log, I saw nothing strange, except a warning about TLS. I
> checked the mailing list about this warning :
> STARTTLS=server: file /etc/mail/certs/cert.pem unsafe: No such file or
> directory

Comes from default setup on FC2.

> My questions are :
> - If TLS is the problem, do I really need this, as I dont use any
> encryption to send my mails. Moreover, how can I disabled it ?

You can ignore that, though such things are not nice. You can disable
that by editing /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and writing a "dnl" in front of
each line which has the certificate instructions. As long as you are
single user on your host and not sending auth data through the net you
can live without TLS.

> /var/log/maillog - extract (sending first mail, replacing my email by
> "myname" and the recipient by "recipient"):
>  Jun 27 18:16:53 P4 sendmail[3196]: i5RBGpPK003196:
> Authentication-Warning: P4.AAA: myname set sender to
> myname at fcomfrench.com using -f

Indicates me - from the notification by Sendmail saying that the sender
was set using -f parameter - that you are using Evolution configured
with using Sendmail in the send email options. I would suggest you use
SMTP. Using "Sendmail mode" explains why you mails are queued and not
delivered immediately. The standard queue time is 1 hour. So not
restarting Sendmail but waiting 1 hour will also lead to the "effect"
that the queued mail is delivered.

> After this the message is queued unitl a sedmail restart !
> Then the message is sent :
> Jun 27 18:53:37 P4 sendmail[3368]: i5RBGsMp003197:
> to=recipient at wanadoo.fr>, delay=00:36:43, xdelay=00:00:08, mailer=esmtp,
> pri=120890, relay=smtp.wanadoo.fr. [193.252.22.83], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
> (Ok: queued as 5BDCC18000B0)
>
> Anybody got this kind of problem using FC2 with a basic sendmail system
> ?

That is no problem but caused by your usage of Sendmail. Instead of
switching the config of Evolution you could as an alternate change the
queue time. To do so edit /etc/sysconfig/sendmail and change

"QUEUE=1h" to something like "QUEUE=5m" for instance. That will cause
the queue runner process not to try to empty the queue every 60 minutes
but every 5 minutes. After that change you need to run "service sendmail
restart" to activate the change.

> Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand(e)

Regards to Chiangmai :) Was there 3 years ago. Was a nice time there,
lovely night market.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 16:57:20 up 18:44, 8 users, 0.17, 0.18, 0.18