Fedora book

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jun 27 20:48:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 16:33, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Can anyone recommend to me a Fedora Core or otherwise applicable linux
> book or book series that would explain from beginner to advanced level
> how to work with server stuff like sendmail, mailman and such.  I find
> the documentation to be very confusing and I have a short attention span
> anyway.  I am disabled, so my network is the only thing I have to offer
> as an improvement to the world around me, and I'm not even that good at
> it.
>
> -Michael Sullivan-

For specific applications such as sendmail I recommend some of the
O'Reilly books.  For sendmail they have a couple of them which are
considered the authoritative books on that subject.  They also have some
linux books but I have not read any of those.  You may also want to
check out http://safari.oreilly.com.  They have an electronic version of
all their books that you can read or search.  I believe there is a
nominal monthly charge for that service.  But it gives you access to all
of their books.

I have a copy of Red Hat Linux 8 Bible that I picked up a long time
ago.  If you are brand new to Linux it is ok.  But if you have any
experience at all you will quickly find that you know more than is in
that book.  It is fairly shallow in regards to the details.  So I don't
really recommend that.  I suspect they have a Fedora version out but
have not seen it.

Like I said earlier specific books on a topic of interest is probably
going to give you better information.  Example is one I picked up a
month or two ago, Official Samba-3 Howto and Reference Guide.  Has
answered a number of questions I had on setting up Samba.

What I do when I find I need to learn something is do a search on Amazon
or Barnes and Nobles web site on the subject.  Then take a look at the
various books they list.  Check out the copyright dates on them, I have
found a few that are many years old and probably not up to date
anymore.

Then either go down to the local book store and pick up a copy or order
it from the web site.  In most cases you can get free shipping anymore
and sometimes they will have a small discount.

Good luck!

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Another dream that failed.  There's nothing sadder.
		-- Kirk, "This side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3