Finding this list, other lists to support specific packages

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Mon Jun 28 04:20:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 12:50, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> First, how did you find the Fedora support list? Was it through the
> http://fedora.redhat.com/ page or another path?

>From the above URL.

> Second, I'd like to suggest listing as many per-package support resources
> at the same point, so that those seeking help for specific packages be able
> to find the best source of expertise for those packages. For instance,
> those seeking help for DHCP or DNS would be directed to the ISC site, while
> those seeking help for mail would be directed to the home pages of Dovecot,
> Sendmail, Postfix, etc. Much of this information can be found in
> /usr/share/doc or in the URL for each package (as returned by "rpm -qi
> packagename"), but most new users won't know these common points to start
> from.

How do you suggest publishing these resources? I'd say that educating
new users about the rpm -qi command is a better way to go than
duplicating the information. Each rpm should have a definitive URL for
the product, and it is up to the owner of the package (at that URL) to
publish additional help resources should they wish to.

Cheers, Ben