Installing modem on FC2

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jun 28 05:47:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 16:53, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:26:08PM -0300, Marcelo Manzato wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I?m having some problems on installing an Intel 357EP
> > modem driver on FC2. Actually, the driver is for FC1,
> > but it?s a test edition to kernel 2.6.x as well.
> > Following is the error that occurs when I try to
> > compile the driver. Please, if someone has a
> > suggestion, just let me know.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> I have said this before and I will say this again. Configuring modems
> in fedora are a fantasy. All the modem configuration is handled by
> the ppp client software, kpppd, wvdial or you can configure ppp using
> system-config-network.
> --
> Aaron Konstam

Aaron,
His question was actually on errors in compiling of the driver, not on
configuring the modem.

FYI, Modem config is NOT handled by the ppp software exclusively.
Drivers are needed, as well as other software to use those drivers.  The
ppp software handles /activating/ the modem and using it.

Just because you view an attempt to get something working as a lost
cause does not justify telling somebody it can't be done.  At least give
Marcelo credit for trying and please answer the question that was asked
instead of spreading FUD and trying to make yourself feel superior.

Marcelo,
Please go to http://www.linmodems.org and check out their mailing list.
They are very active and likely have the answer for you, both in
compiling and in getting your modem to work.