Mailbox vulnerable?

Hongwei Li hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu
Mon Jun 28 14:32:44 UTC 2004

Alexander,

Yes, I did cahnged the permission on /tmp:

# chmod 1777 /tmp

but never touched /var/spool/mail's permission.  Since then, I pay
attention to all warning message and found this one.  The pine package was
download, pine.tar.gz for Unix system, pine4.58.  I downloaded pine for
RH9, but it does not work.  Most users use SquirrelMail and EMUMail, some
users use Outlook Express and NetscapeMail, a few people still like pine
(that is why I downloaded and installed it). We had a problem when /tmp
had wrong permission.  Thanks for your help, after I change the
permission, these mail tools work normally.  But, I see this warning
message in system log, LogWatch to the root, and when trying a test
account's pine.

Should I remove the pine?  Will that make the warning not showing?

Thanks!

Hongwei