Can I create a DNS list on my computer?

- - s r b - - srb at 295.ca
Mon Jun 28 14:46:07 UTC 2004

Andy Green wrote:

> Is your initial DNS lookup really slow?  If so, remove ipv6 by adding
>
> install ipv6 /bin/true
>
> to /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> and you may well see a big improvement.  If not, use tcpdump to watch what is
> going on with ppp0 when you do a slow dns lookup.
>
> - -Andy

Yes it seems like my DNS is slow, hence the original inquiry! :-)

I will try this out as well as Ben's caching-nameserver suggestion...
just one question, is the syntax of your instruction correct? By adding
"install ipv6 /bin/true" to my /etc/modprobe.conf, that will UNinstall
ipv6?? It looks backwards, but maybe I am misinterpreting it... :-)

Thanks for your help!

--
srb
----