Connection problem

Mon Jun 28 18:26:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 12:15 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> This is another new user question: I have successfully set up my first Linux system and
> connected to the internet via dial-up (this is a home system). I was able to get my modem
> to work by using the Network Device Control dialogue where I was able to configure my
> modem to dial up my ISP. This works well. When I tried to use KPPP, however, I had a
> problem. There are a few more settings in KPPP, but I basically took the defaults,
> entering the ISP info where required. It dials out and connects fine. When I try to use
> mail or a browser, however, it gives me an error.

What is the error?

> Does someone have an idea?

Hard to say without more information.  I recall having trouble with
"interference" between different tools for configuring ppp via modem in
Red Hat 7.x in the dark days before getting a cable modem.

> Is this a
> permissions issue, or a firewall setting? I've been through the settings in KPPP and tried
> a couple of alternatives, but they don't seem to make a difference.

Would help to say exactly what you have tried.  May also want to read

It would also help you to get assistance if you start a new message
rather than replying to an existing one.  You have committed the sin of
"thread hijacking" by replying to "Re: Mailbox vulnerable?" and changing
the subject.  The original thread information is still contained in the
message headers, although you may not see it without turning on a
verbose display option in your mail reader.  This causes threaded mail
readers to show your message down inside the unrelated thread, both
hiding it and messing up the original thread.

Welcome to Linux.  Hope you can get the help you need.

Phil