2.6.6-1.435: kswapd clears out cache?

Philip Molter philip at corp.texas.net
Mon Jun 28 20:57:20 UTC 2004

> You really might want to turn on the swap.
>
> In 2.4 you don't have the 4/4g split, and have a 1g/3g split.  That is a
> very different memory zone balancing situation than 4g/300MB you're
> running the 2.6 kernel under.
>
> Unless you're happy with not using 300MB on your server...

I *REALLY* don't want the machine to swap.  If I have a choice between
using 300MB less RAM and not ever having to touch disk unnecessarily,
I'll choose 300MB less RAM until the VM system gets the swap-less kinks
worked out of it.  The way the box is setup, it should *never* have a
reason to page something to disk.