Fedora Core 2 and audio

Steve Cooke stephen.cooke at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Tue Jun 29 01:33:37 UTC 2004

Hi,
Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 16:48, Steve Cooke wrote:

> Everything you need is included in the FC2 install kit. ALSA is the new
> sound mega-driver that's included by default in the new linux-2.6 kernel
> series.
>
> Try and run the audio mixer and see if there are some channels muted by
> default. Or fire up an xterm and run alsamixer in it (it's a different
> kind of mixer, the ALSA native mixer), unmute the muted channels, wiggle
> the volume levels up and down and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks very much. It all works beautifully now. One of your comments
pointed to a possible clue - I ran system-config-soundcard and that
seemed to do the trick.

I guess a possible followup question would be "is there a list of these
system-config-... thingys somewhere?"

I tried to run yum but that failed also:
'Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
retrygrab() failed for:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/headers/header.info
   Executing failover method
failover: out of servers to try
Error getting file
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/headers/header.info
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error >

I assume there is a config file somewhere that will allow me to set a
proxy or some such. If I can get it running I may try the rest of your
suggestions - the packages on FreshRPMS look rather interesting...

Thanks again for your help. My machine now feels complete!
Steve Cooke.