dns settings

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 29 06:19:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:44:34PM +1000, david wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 00:59, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 06:48, david wrote:
> > > i have a five to ten second lag in internet activity through my router
> > > has worked fine until fc2
> > > the others on the network and my windows works fine
> > > just fc2 on my box
> > > any help appreciated
> > > thanks
> > > david
> >
> > Try turning off IPv6:
> >
> > Add to /etc/modprobe.conf:
> >
> > alias net-pf-10 off
> >
> > You will need to reboot after.  I could note get the ipv6 module to
> > manually unload.
> >
> > IPv6 apparently slows DNS lookups in Mozilla.
> >
> > Bob...
>
> thanks bob
> that was it
> mozzie 1.6 and IPv6 arent the closest of friends
> all solved
>
> take care
> david

Do place a note on this in your system notebook.

IPv6 is not the problem in and of itself.  The problem is the lack of
IPv6 answers out on the internet.  I expect that this omission will
change and IPV6 will be almost common about the same time that FC4 is
released.  That is only two updates from now, long enought to forget,
near enough to have a reminder in the notebook.

For most of us, to make the net feel quicker turn on nscd (name
service cache daemon).  This is a useful trick with or without IPV6.
The first lookup might be slow but the second lookup will be quick
(RTFM).

Easy to do...
	up2date install nscd
	chkconfig nscd on