Fedora needs more evangelism for repositories

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Jun 29 12:27:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:17:35 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:47:44 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >>Package: *
> >>Pin: release l=Fedora Extras, a=stable
> >>Pin-Priority: 1850
> >>
> >>If package abc is in "Fedora Extras" and any other repository, it will
> >>only use the "Fedora Extras" package.  This should keep repository
> >>mixing from happening for the most part.
> >

> > It doesn't know about dependencies though, does it? So, you would still
> > satisfy the dependencies of package X from repo A with packages Y and Z
> > from repo B. And exactly that is an untested and unsupported configuration
> > and one of the dangers of mixing repositories.
>
> No, this is exactly what the priority covers -- choosing which
> repository to use when the same package name is encountered.
>
> So, if you have mplayer in livana, and dag the setup I proposed would
> choose livana even if it had a lower version number (for better or
> worse, I choose to put livana at a higher priority because they seem to
> be related with fedora.us

What do you do if another package was prepared for and tested with the
newer version of mplayer?

Example: repo A (priority), repo B

  "libfoo 1.0"    is from repo A
  "libfoo 1.1rc2" is from repo B

  "bar" from repo A  was built and tested with libfoo 1.0 from repo A
  "baz" from repo B  was built with libfoo 1.1rc2 from repo B

You install "bar + libfoo 1.0" from repo A, the higher libfoo 1.1rc2 is
ignored due to prioritized Apt-pinning.

What happens if you want to install "baz"?