Fedora needs more evangelism for repositories

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 29 14:41:51 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Often these "one man efforts" are due to personal preferences, such as
> full control over the published content and the release-cycle, and
> specific personal goals, such as being the administrator/lead of a project
> rather than just a contributor. That's why there are multiple fedora
> forums and other fedora related websites, not seldomly with only few
> visitors or registered users. Someone who starts an own show probably
> wants to perform better (with regard to content or page impressions) or
> just get a piece of the cake, regardless of how small it is.

I think a little bit of competition and choice for the user is a good thing.
There is an operating system where updates are only available from one
source: it's called Microsoft Windows.

Another problem with Fedora is, there's fedora.us which maintains all the
packages that are too numerous to be included in the core distribution, but
because it's now part of the official Fedora Project, it still can't
include all the useful stuff such as MP3 support for legal reasons (even
though these things remain legal, for the time being at least, for those of
us outside the US). The other repositories are needed to fill this gap.
Find the one you like, and stick with it!

I use yum for smaller updates. But large downloads (kernel+source,
openoffice, etc.) call for the use of a fast university connection and a
CD-RW, installing the packages manually with rpm. The beauty of yum/rpm is
that you can do that without getting into a mess!

Jonathan