Odd results comparing installed files with rpm package information

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jun 29 14:47:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:29, William Hooper wrote:
> Scot L. Harris said:
>
> > I believe the second column contains the files size as recorded in the
> > rpm database.  However in the above example the file size reported in the
> > rpm database for /usr/bin/vim is 2071700.  The ls -l reports 2077400.
>
> The file on your hard drive has been prelinked, so it's MD5SUM (and I guess size) can be different than reported in the RPM database.  If you use "rpm -V", it has the logic to take this into account and report if a file has changed.
>
> --
> William Hooper

Ah!  Thanks for the explanation.  I had run the -V and it did not report
any problems as you said.  But then I found the rpm command showing the
same difference in size and began to wonder about this.

Plus the fact that the RH8 systems I have apparently are not doing the
prelink and they show the same size as I had expected.

Call me paranoid!  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com