Fully supported japanese Fedora

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Tue Jun 29 16:20:02 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Alexander Apprich wrote:
>
>>for a japanese co-worker I have to install a Fedora box with full
>>support of japanese. To me it seems, that KDE and Gnome support
>>japanese allmost 100%. What I'm still working on are the applications
>>like browsers and mail clients. What mail client support reading
>>and writing japanese? I know some of them can disply mails written
>>in kanji. I figured out how to make emacs able to write japanese,
>>but that's it. Also, she gets mails written in JIS(?) code.
>

> Well, sylpheed (http://sylpheed.good-day.net/) is from Japan, and has
> a Japanese mailing list...
>
> James.

James,

thanks for pointing me to sylpheed, it's really what I wanted. For
documentation:

    http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

There you can find information on how Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD
support japanese and how to configure it.

To start sylpheed in japanese and be able to write in japanese I
used a script which contains:

#!/bin/bash
export LC_ALL=ja_JP
export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2'
kinput2 -canna&
/usr/bin/sylpheed

In sylpheed you just press the shift-key followed by the space bar
to enable japanese writing support.

Alex