lame servers resolving

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 29 21:20:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 03:43:41PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 28.06.2004 schrieb T. Nifty Hat Mitchell um 22:23:
>

> > How do you filter lame-server messages so you can discover
> > problems with your own domain and toss those that are out
> > of your control?
> >
> > My practice when I had responsibility of a large name space was to not

> Your warning is correct and rereading my reply to Olga's question was in
> the sense of your arguments a bit unresponsible. Of course lame server
> notifications have their sense.

You are too harsh on yourself ;-)

The first response should address the big 80% of the issue,
as you did.   I am just adding additional thoughts that
would complicate things in an initial reply.  It is easy to
build on a good start....

> logfile. A possible setup to do so would be in the named.conf:
>
> logging {
>         channel lamers {
>                 file "/var/log/lamer.log" versions 4 size 1m;
>                 severity info;
>                 print-time yes;
>                 print-category yes;
>                 print-severity yes;
>         };
>         category lame-servers {
>                 lamers;
>         };
> };
>
> Such a log can be quickly grepped for notifications caused by own
> errors.

I like this addition.  It is what I do naturally when I grep my log
files by hand.  -v this and -i that.... quickly there is a good filter.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l