Logitech Quickcam Express (USB) Problem

Brandon W. Saxe brandon20va at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 22:34:16 UTC 2004

Your webcam probably isn't at the default /dev/video0.

Try
$v4l-info /dev/video0
to see what's at /dev/video0
and
$v4l-info /dev/video1
to see what's at /dev/video1

You can keep querying /dev/video devices until you get the right one for
your quickcam.

Make sure that the usb device was found as well. usbtree can be used, I
think. You can also browse /proc/bus/usb to see if it's there. dmesg is
your friend as well as /var/log/messages.

once you found your webcam's /dev/video? location, you can probably
override the v4l device that's used by gnomemeeting or GIMP.

For example, using xawtv, I have to do
$xawtv -c /dev/video1

because my tv card driver was loaded after my webcam was.

--
Brandon W. Saxe <brandon20va at yahoo.com>