Fedora Core 2 and audio

Steve Cooke stephen.cooke at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Wed Jun 30 02:16:12 UTC 2004

Florin Andrei wrote:

> 1. File a bug report with bugzilla.redhat.com (BTW, Steve Cooke should
> do that as well, since it's not ok for the installer to not be able to
> configure the card properly, yet the config utility to work fine later
> on)

No, I won't do that. I have flagged the fact that I had a problem, and
that it is now fixed. I now have no way to replicate the problem, short
of doing a cleanskin install - which I, unfortunately, currently have no
time for.

The second reason for not wishing to file a bug report is that I really
don't know whether the problem was the result of my ignorance/ineptitude
or a genuine problem. I fiddled with the alsamixer (as you suggested)
and ran the soundcard config utility (as you also indicated may help)
and either of those could have done the trick.

The third reason for me not filing a bug report is that I really do not
believe it *that* important that sound works right out of the box. I
don't know - is there a mini howto on this matter? Maybe that would be a
better way to go, rather than hassling guys who are probably already
flat out dealing with much more pressing issues than some ignoramus (me)
complaining that the sound does not work. The fact that everything else
worked first time is something that should be mentioned however - the
guys involved with Fedora Core 2 distro have obviously gone out of their
way to make it an almost no-brainer to install Linux.

Regards, and thanks again for the prompt help,
Steve Cooke.