Deploring *nix Philosophy ( Was Re : Splitting archives across floppies )

Parameshwara Bhat pbhat at ongc.net
Wed Jun 30 04:04:29 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:32:39 -0600, Robin Laing
<Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

>> Yes,I believe computer is a tool, getting more and more cheaper,like
>> tv,many other players and other gadgets like fridge, mw ovens. Now each
>> has its own safety/security issue.But in a family,they are all
>> accessible to different family members (setting different limits is
>> ok,like child lock in tv).Computer cannot be on a different plane.This
>> adaptability and configurability are more important.It should not
>> require a computer guru. Linux is entering new markets in Desktop /
>> home PCs and it should present tools so that any educated person ( not
>> a computer professional ) can install it,configure it and maintain it
>> for normal everyday uses where a Pc is more of a typing / publishing
>> machine and a great multimedia entertainer. I would like Linux distros
>> to see the requirement of this segment and cater to this and provide
>> good security / reliability in this environment. It has far higher
>> abilities which it can keep and augment for other segments of users. If
>> this is ensured, hardware makers will come to Linux with support, You
>> do not have to go beg.
>>
> I agree that computers are becoming a commoddity and almost a necessity
> in the home.  Look at the price of new computers in comparison to 6
> months ago.  But as we have seen in the past, networked Windows
> computers that have been compromised have cost billions of dollars.  I
> have yet to hear of a TV or smart coffee maker doing the same damage
> (other than a fire).  Of course as they get smarter, the problem will
> occur.
>
> A computer can be either a tool that is secure and headache free or full
> of holes and a major pain.  How many home users throw their hands up
> when their computers start acting funny and call their "computer" friend
> to help them.  I have seen so many systems that have never updated their
> systems or virus software.  I have seen systems that don't even have
> anti-virus programs.
>
> Now tell me how a typical home user cleans his registry file in Windows
> other than doing a re-install?  How many home users even have heard
> about the registry?  How many home users do a clean install once a
> year.  I have a friend that schedules a re-install each year.  Yuk.
>   Last full install I made was on a brand new computer and on an old
> computer when a HD failed.
>
> Ease of use isn't the best in all cases.  A stove is a handy tool but I
> wouldn't let my daughter use it at her age.  I will make sure she is
> capable before using the stove.  She can use the computer (linux) and
> does on a daily basis.  She can add icons to her desktop and tool bar.
>   She can play CD's and ogg/mp3 files.  She doesn't have any email
> though.
>
> One thing I will say about Linux over Windows is once it is configured,
> it keeps working the way it is supposed to.  With FC1, I have only had
> one issue with sound and another with screensaver locking up the
> [...]

I am sorry I could not write back earlier. I have also missed others who
would have said much valuable things. But, that is how my work is.

There is much truth in your and other gentlemen's examples and opinions.
My early difficulties with Fedora and other distributions of Linux
stemming from unfamiliarity was the source of much of bile. After the long
drawn discussions, my own perception has begun to change.In fact, I do not
any more feel like working in Linux. Especially after I could setup samba
and usb cd writing on my work pc, I feel more a part of it.Still I feel
when Linux recognises Desktop users as a separate and legitimate category
of users and attempts to meet their specific needs also, it will be better
and there are premonitions of such a Linux revolution already.