ntp synchronisation failed

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Wed Jun 30 07:46:41 UTC 2004

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell wrote:

> Yes the way that the current scripts start the ntp time daemon might
> be improved.  I expect when ntpdate is eventually removed the change
> will take place.

Better not remove ntpdate, or at least not remove its functionallity at boot
time. By default, ntpd never sets the clock and never adjusts anything if the
offset is to large (more than a minute or so). At boot time, it is accepted to
set the clock instead of skewing into time. Hence newer ntpd-implementations
have an option to do this.

Specially if the system can be off for multiple hours or (even worce) if it runs
an other OS like M$Windows, the hardwareclock and the drift will not be enough
to start on a reasonable time.