Xorg -configure problems

Art Werschulz agw at dsm.fordham.edu
Wed Jun 30 19:15:30 UTC 2004

Hi.

Regarding my X-windows configuration problem, I was told

> This information is readily available on the web:
>
> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/monitors/p793/En/specs.htm
>
> Resolution
> Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 96 kHz (automatic)
> Vertical scan range 50 Hz to 160 Hz (automatic)
> Optimal preset resolution 1024 x 768 at 85 Hz
> Highest preset resolution 1600 x 1200 at 75 Hz

AFAICT, all this information is currently present in the xorg.conf
file, except for the 85Hz.  Currently, the xorg.conf file has

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "DEL"
	ModelName    "DELL P793"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 96.0
        VertRefresh  50 - 160
	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

Following the instructions in the xorg.conf manpage (as I understand
them), I changed this to read

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "DEL"
	ModelName    "DELL P793"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 96.0
        VertRefresh  50 - 160
	Mode "1024x768"
	   DotClock 85Hz
	EndMode
	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

When I ran Xorg, I got an error msg telling me that there was a parse
error ("Unexpected token in verbose Mode entry) in this section.

Just for fun, I tried changing the line to
	   DotClock 85
(figuring that perhaps the "Hz" was the unexpected token).  I got a
different error msg, saying that the horizontal timings are missing.

Obviously, I'm misinterpreting the manpage's instructions.  Exactly
how should I be specifying the 85Hz clock speed?

HOWEVER ... I'm wondering if this is a red herring.  After all, we're
able to launch X windows successfully.  The problem only happens when
terminating an X windows session, in which case we're getting the
abberant behavior:

(1) The screen shows a floating box with a complaint.
(2) When the X server shuts down, it wedges, and can only be restored
    by switiching runlevels (init 3; init 5).

--
Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?