Help w/ LDAP

xentek development linux at xentek.net
Wed Jun 30 21:19:26 UTC 2004

hi all,

I've recently set up a Linux box in order to expand my knowledge on the
subject, as well as run a few dedicated services that i see being useful
for my home network.

i choose fedora core 2, as it was the next evolution of red hat 9 (many
of the web servers i host on are red hat 9).

i was at first impressed that it seemed to include packages for all of
the things i was looking at accomplishing:

samba
apache
php
mysql
ldap
subversion

Thinking these packages would be ready to go out of the box, has me in a
bit of a quandary, as many seem to take much more to get going.

Today i was successful in getting apache and subversion running. Apache
ended up being installed, i just need to get it to autostart as a
service on boot-up.

Subversion took a bit of work, but was able to piece it together using
the RPMs linked to on their server.

However, I have still yet to get php working with apache. but i will
save that for another day.

I am interested in getting LDAP set up. I would like to consolidate my
address book, for both my windows and linux clients into an LDAP
directory. However, I am a bit lost at getting it installed / configured
/ and running. I have found openldap directories scatterd about my
system... and when reviewing the documentation there was a mention of
adding config options to a sldap.conf file. only l file similiar was
found and that was ldap.conf

Any help on getting openldap working on my fedora core 2 system would be
much appreciated.

This is what has me in a bit of a quandary... so far the things that the
o/s install said got installed with it are either not fully installed or
configured. I understand that it is up to me to get it configured, and
all of that, however, when doing a which or find for the actual program,
nothing is returned. even broader searches of the system find no mention
of the files even existing on my system (case in point... when looking
for the subversion install... searches for subversion, svn, or svnadmin
pulled back nothing... which had me install it from the RPMs linked to
from the subversion site).

I am new to Linux, and am willing to learn / teach myself. However, i'm
left a bit confused by having it tell me that these things have been
installed for me, yet not actually finding evidence of such.

Well, my samba book just arrived from amazon, so i'm going to pour
myself into that tonight and see what I come up with. My other use for
LDAP was to combine it with samba, so i'd like to get ldap up and
running first.

thanks in advance for your input, answers, and links to resources. i
appreciate it.

--

- eric marden
- http://xentek.net/