resizing partitions

scott rscottf at ieee.org
Wed Jun 30 23:21:24 UTC 2004

I had originally installed Mandrake 9.1 on a machine I built.
I had created a 10 Gbyte FAT32 partition, (on /dev/hda1), and later
decided
I wanted to reclaim it for linux.  When I used Mandrake's "diskdrake",
it pulled the new
"free space" inside the extended partition (/dev/hda2), and deleted
/dev/hda1.  The free space
shows up as space at the begining of /dev/hda2, prior to where
/dev/hda5 ( the first paritition inside the
extended partition).  In theory, all the
space is still there.  What I would like to do is to resize change
where /dev/hda2 starts to be where /dev/hda5
starts, then create a new partition (/dev/hda1) to use up the free
space.

I currently dual boot to FC2, and used the remaining two partitions for
the FC2 install
(I used the LVM for one of the partition)

Any ideas anyone?
Has anyone had any luck resizing a partition using parted?

Thanks,
Scott