nvidia - kernel (2.6.6) compile causes fc2 to crash

Christian Schlaefcke cschlaefcke at wms-network.de
Tue Jun 1 07:08:14 UTC 2004

> Hi Christian,

>> but

> Just a shot in the dark here, but you said make menuconfig and then make,
> is
> this correct?
>
> What I do is this:
>
> make xconfig or make menu config
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> make install
>
> I have done this a few times now with FC2 and the 2.6.6 kernel with no
> problems at all, and the NV drivers work great!

isn´t this funny? Doing it like described above it works (has to be
"menuconfig" by the way)! The last kernel I build myself was a 2.4.x where
I was used to run:
make xconfig/menuconfig
make
make dep
make modules
make modules install
and finally make zImage/bzImage

What´s the difference in runnning make bzImage directly? And what causes
my machine to crash, when I do it the wrong way (is it a bug?)?
The only thing I changed in menuconfig the second time was switching from
"pentium pro" to "athlon" architecture. Could this be harmful?

Thank´s & Regards,

Chris