How to preserve users in new install?

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 09:41:54 UTC 2004

Christopher Stone wrote:

> OT: but why do you want to do a fresh install instead of just upgrading?

That's the way I always move to a new Fedora release. If you "upgrade", new
features don't get installed. (How often does someone ask, "why don't I get
the graphical boot on my FC1 machine upgraded from RH9?")

Also, in the past some things didn't quite work properly after an upgrade,
but that's probably less of an issue now that Fedora's a more stable and
mature distro.

Finally, if you try out the test releases, upgrading isn't supported.

The only trouble is, even doing a fresh install, if you keep your users'
data they will retain their desktop settings, and that causes problems when
KDE and Gnome are newer versions.

Jonathan