Fedora Core 2 upgrade FAILURE

Richard Emberson remberson at edgedynamics.com
Tue Jun 1 16:12:10 UTC 2004

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 08:09 -0700, Richard Emberson wrote:
>
>>I have an older machine that can not boot from cdrom. Also, I had
>>some user data in one of the accounts.
>>
>>So I mounted disc1, copied vmlinuz and initrd.img to /boot, unmounted
>>disc1, added entry to /etc/grub.conf, then rebooted:
>>
>>mount /dev/cdrom
>>cp -a /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/vmlinuz /boot/FC2-install
>>cp -a /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/FC2-install.img
>>umount /mnt/cdrom
>>and add entry like:
>>title Fedora Core 2 Installation
>>         root (hd0,0)
>>         kernel /FC2-install
>>         initrd /FC2-install.img
>>to /etc/grub.conf (use /boot/FC2... when not relative to /boot)
>>
>>Everything was going along fine; I did an upgrade (not install) and
>>after 1 1/2 hours it said that the installation was a success and that
>>I should click the reboot button ... which I did.
>>
>>Well, reboot started out ok, there was a single boot option on the
>>grub boot page, but then it asked me to insert disc1. I did so
>>and it then asked me if I wanted to upgrade or install.
>>
>>hmmm.....
>>
>>I selected upgrade and it proceeded to "upgrade" a php rpm from disc1
>>and compat-db rpm from disc3 and announced that the installation was
>>successful and that I should click on the reboot button.
>>
>>Ok, reboot started and then once again it requested that I insert disc1
>>and once again it installed the same two rpm's, php from disc1 and
>>compat-db from disc3 and announced that the installation was a success.
>>
>>I tried one more time with the same result.
>>
>>So how do I break out of this? I really dont care about either
>>php or compat-db, I'd like to somehow bypass installing them and
>>get on with the boot. Are there parameters one can give at the grub
>>command line to force a kernel load?
>>
>>Help! Thanks.
>

> Hummm... Looks like anaconda didn't correctly update the bootloader,
> which should have been the default.  Did you tell it not to update GRUB
> during the upgrade?  Possible confusion between MBR and boot record of

During the upgrade I did NOT tell it to upgrade GRUB (I followed the
recommendation to not upgrade...) During the first and second attempt
to reboot, again, I did not tell it to upgrade. During the third attempt
I did tell it to upgrade, but at the end of the upgrade it told me that
because no new kernel was installed there was not need to upgrade.

> the active partition?  If you did request that the bootloader be
> updated, and don't find another head-slapper cause, then this is one for
> Bugzilla.
>
> You should be able to recover either by booting from the rescue disk
> image and following directions, or by using the command line in GRUB.
> GRUB command-line completion with TAB should help.

Unfortunately, my machine, an old VA Research box (when they were
in Moutain View), does not have boot from CD capability.
I will attempt to recover via the GRUB command-line. THANKs.

Question: How from within the GRUB command line interface can I get
the names of the kernel and initrd files in the /boot directory?
What if they are not: vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 and initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img?