Zip files to multiple floppies

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Jun 1 16:16:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 12:20 +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Here is an archive file whixh is bigger than a floppy size. How do I make
> it span floppies in the manner of Winzip?

Haven't used this for years, but should still work:

# man tar
... snip ...
       -M, --multi-volume
              create/list/extract multi-volume archive

So, should go something like:

# tar Mcf /dev/fd0 <files_to_archive>

Somewhere back in the cobwebs is the thought that this may not work with
compression ("z" or "j" options to tar).

The "split" technique suggested by Joe (theWordy) Philbrook should also
work.

> Also, I have difficulty copying
> spanned zip files off floppies. How do I do that ?

# mkdir zip_tmp
# cd zip_tmp
# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=file01
# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=file02