Is it possible to 'sleep' while using ACPI?

Brian Kendig brian at enchanter.net
Tue Jun 1 16:40:21 UTC 2004

When I use ACPI on my laptop under FC2, it won't ever go to sleep.  I
have the Battery Charge Monitor in my dock, but when I right-click on
it and select 'Suspend Computer' it says "The Suspend command
'/usr/bin/apm -s' was unsuccessful."  If I run 'apmsleep +0:01' from a
command line, it tells me that I have to recompile my kernel with APM
support.

I'm using a kernel with APM and ACPI both compiled into it.  It seems
that if ACPI is loaded, APM won't work at all.  If I go into Server
Settings and turn off the acpid service, then APM will work and the
laptop will be able to go to sleep, but I lose other functionality (the
laptop has two batteries but APM only sees them as a single combined
battery so I can't see the individual charge of each), and when I
reboot I get an error saying "can't access ACPI events in
/var/run/acpid.socket, make sure the ACPI subsystem is working and the
acpid daemon is running."

Is there any way to make a laptop go to sleep while it's under ACPI
management?